Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 2

So today I felt very strongly that the Lord was telling me to go to Isaiah. I wasn't sure where but I kept praying and felt that today I was to read Isaiah 62, a chapter in Isaiah that I just love. I find God's love baffling. I cannot fathom how someone could love us, could love me, unconditionally and want so much for someone. I love that He made us all unique...no one person the same as another. I also love that He wants a relationship so deep that He wants us to know His name for us. I love that in chapter 62 God gives Zion a new name.

Isaiah 62
Zion's New Name
1 For Zion's sake I will not keep silent,
for Jerusalem's sake I will not remain quiet,
till her righteousness shines out like the dawn,
her salvation like a blazing torch.
2 The nations will see your righteousness,
and all kings your glory;
you will be called by a new name
that the mouth of the LORD will bestow.

3 You will be a crown of splendor in the LORD's hand,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

4 No longer will they call you Deserted,
or name your land Desolate.
But you will be called Hephzibah (my delight is in her)
and your land Beulah (married) ;
for the LORD will take delight in you,
and your land will be married.

5 As a young man marries a maiden,
so will your sons [c] marry you;
as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride,
so will your God rejoice over you.

6 I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem;
they will never be silent day or night.
You who call on the LORD,
give yourselves no rest,

7 and give him no rest till he establishes Jerusalem
and makes her the praise of the earth.

8 The LORD has sworn by his right hand
and by his mighty arm:
"Never again will I give your grain
as food for your enemies,
and never again will foreigners drink the new wine
for which you have toiled;

9 but those who harvest it will eat it
and praise the LORD,
and those who gather the grapes will drink it
in the courts of my sanctuary."

10 Pass through, pass through the gates!
Prepare the way for the people.
Build up, build up the highway!
Remove the stones.
Raise a banner for the nations.

11 The LORD has made proclamation
to the ends of the earth:
"Say to the Daughter of Zion,
'See, your Savior comes!
See, his reward is with him,
and his recompense accompanies him.' "

12 They will be called the Holy People,
the Redeemed of the LORD;
and you will be called Sought After,
the City No Longer Deserted.

I also love the way the Message phrases this:
Isaiah 62
Look, Your Savior Comes!
1-5 Regarding Zion, I can't keep my mouth shut, regarding Jerusalem, I can't hold my tongue,
Until her righteousness blazes down like the sun
and her salvation flames up like a torch.
Foreign countries will see your righteousness,
and world leaders your glory.
You'll get a brand-new name
straight from the mouth of God.
You'll be a stunning crown in the palm of God's hand,
a jeweled gold cup held high in the hand of your God.
No more will anyone call you Rejected,
and your country will no more be called Ruined.
You'll be called Hephzibah (My Delight),
and your land Beulah (Married),
Because God delights in you
and your land will be like a wedding celebration.
For as a young man marries his virgin bride,
so your builder marries you,
And as a bridegroom is happy in his bride,
so your God is happy with you.
6-7I've posted watchmen on your walls, Jerusalem.
Day and night they keep at it, praying, calling out,
reminding God to remember.
They are to give him no peace until he does what he said,
until he makes Jerusalem famous as the City of Praise.

8-9God has taken a solemn oath,
an oath he means to keep:
"Never again will I open your grain-filled barns
to your enemies to loot and eat.
Never again will foreigners drink the wine
that you worked so hard to produce.
No. The farmers who grow the food will eat the food
and praise God for it.
And those who make the wine will drink the wine
in my holy courtyards."

10-12Walk out of the gates. Get going!
Get the road ready for the people.
Build the highway. Get at it!
Clear the debris,
hoist high a flag, a signal to all peoples!
Yes! God has broadcast to all the world:
"Tell daughter Zion, 'Look! Your Savior comes,
Ready to do what he said he'd do,
prepared to complete what he promised.'"
Zion will be called new names: Holy People, God-Redeemed,
Sought-Out, City-Not-Forsaken.


I just LOVE how God is gushing about Zion. He gushes about us too! He calls us Hephzibah (my delight) and we are his bride...we are married to the Lord! I love that it says we are no longer rejected, that we are a torch, that we are stunning. I look at myself sometimes and think "why does God love me?! I am so undeserving of such love" but he looks at me and sees a treasure, He see's a masterpiece, He sees beauty. I think of friends who are dating or married that have "pet names"/"special names" for each other. Names that mean sooo much when spoken to by the other. When one person calls the other by that special name there is meaning...significance behind it even if it makes no sense to anyone else, and it makes that other person feel loved and cherished by the other when called that name...as basic or as silly as it may be. That is what I feel God is speaking to me from this verse. That me, his daugher...His love...I have a special name that when spoken by Him is such a special treasure shared between us!

I met with a friend back in February and we went through the book together. What a sweet season of my life that was! She challanged me to ask God what my new name is...what His name is for me, so that when I pray to Him, and seek Him its on a much deeper, intimate level. I have been praying for months and am still seeking Him on that name, but I do know when He reveals it to me it will be such a sweet time, just like it was for the people of Zion to be called Hephzibah! I am swept away by God's love, and am honored and privilleged to be a part of His family. I pray that we can all be challenged to ask God what His name for us specifically is! I know I am still asking :)

No comments: